It’s not too difficult to ignore SEO practices as they can be tedious and time-consuming. But if you want to rank higher on the local results, you may need to make an effort to do so. If you are looking at local SEO in your business, here are some common mistakes to avoid.
Not Working on Your Google My Business (GMB) Listing
It’s not enough to just create a GMB listing. You need to ensure that all the content you create and other information displayed on your listing is consistent and accurate. To do that:
- Create a Google+ Page for your business and make sure to add the same email address as your GMB listing.
- Use your GMB page to add your business description, images and links to your website, blog, and social profiles.
- Use your GMB page to answer any questions related to your business.
Unoptimised Website for Mobile Devices
Mobile users make up a large percentage of digital traffic so it’s important to make your website mobile-friendly.
- Check the speed of your website and mobile apps.
- Ensure that your Google mobile-friendly testing tool shows a passing score.
- Make sure that your images are optimised for mobile devices.
Duplicate listings are a common local SEO mistake. This happens when business owners create duplicate listings for their businesses in Google My Business, Yelp, Foursquare and other directories. This leads to your business being undervalued in the eyes of search engines.
To avoid duplicate listings:
- Make sure your business information is consistent across all your listings.
- Fix your listings if there are incorrect details or if certain listings are outdated.
Not Filling Relevant Business Categories
When you fill out the categories section of your Google My Business page, it helps the search engine understand your business better and show your business to relevant people.
To do this, you need to consider the types of customers you want to attract and fill out the categories accordingly.
For example, if you are a pet grooming service, fill out the pet grooming category and make sure you choose relevant subcategories.
Inconsistent NAP Information
NAP means Name, Address, and Phone Number. It’s important to keep this information consistent across your Google My Business page, website, and other online listings.
To avoid having inconsistent NAP information:
- Make sure that your business address, phone number and website are consistent across all your listings.
- When entering your business address on your Google My Business page, make sure the address matches the one on your website.
Not Using Reviews and Ratings
Reviews and ratings are important in local SEO. They help your potential customers make informed decisions about your business and help you rank higher in local search results.
To rank higher in local search results, gather reviews and ratings from your customers, engage with them and make sure you respond to negative reviews as well.
Rank Higher on Google
Google is constantly changing its algorithms to serve its users, and local SEO is a great way to get your business noticed. It’s important to keep in mind that your competitors are also trying to rank higher on the search engine, so staying ahead is equally important. aBy avoiding these local SEO mistakes, you can stay ahead of your competitors and get your business noticed on the search engine.
Frank Digital Agency can help you with your Adelaide local SEO. We will get your website on the first page of Google. Book a free, no-obligation consultation today.